Sunday, November 2, 2008

Celebrating All Saint's Day



We celebrated All Saint's Day in every way we could this year. It was a rather successful day, I promise not to rant about my disliking of Halloween as a secular holiday. We just ignored it and went on our merry way to give our children a taste of Catholic culture.




We invited a three guests to our home, who were greeted by St. Dominic and St. Cecilia. In the above picture, you can see our home altar which was to honor our patrons for the day and will become an All Soul's altar this week.


We began our day by gathering at our altar and praying the Litany of the Saints as a Family. The house was clean and tidy and I prepared for our dinner. First, we snacked on spinach dip and fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. For the main course we had a slow roasted beef brisket and vegetables. I made buttermilk biscuits for the first time ever, I even cut them out in Fall shapes --acorns and leaves! I made a yellow cake with butter cream icing for dessert.

My children watched a movie about St. Francis of Assisi and played with our guests who also brought wine and ice cream. It felt like a holiday, my children were giddy with excitement all day long, which was exactly how I want them to feel about the great feasts of the Church.

The only other thing that I had planned, but did not do was to read about some of the lives of the saints, I was getting a cold and my throat was pretty sore by the end of the day. But there are plenty of other opportunities to read about the heroes of our Faith; I would consider the day well-sanctified and perfectly wonderful.

2 comments:

the striped rose said...

That looks like a great celebration!
Your children will cherish those memories.
Michele

Ruskin said...

What a wonderful celebration. I always feel that Hallowe'en steals the show when the saints are the ones that we should really be celebrating.